Skillet Toss of Caramelized Onions,Italian Sausage, Snow Peas, & Porcini
1/2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
1 1/2 Cups hot water
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 ounces sweet Italian sausage
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 red onion ; thinly sliced
2 bunches scallions ; sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 garlic clove ; minced
6 ounces sugar snap peas
8 ounces bowtie pasta ; cooked al dente
1. Rinse porcini, place in small bowl, 4. Return sausages to skillet, then add resend porciniadd hot water, and let stand one hour. Line small fine-mesh sieve with coffee filte, set over bowl, pan in porcini and soaking liquid and let water drip through. Set porcini aside. Filter soaking water once more and reserve .
2. Heat oil in very large, heavy skillet over high heat 1 minute. Add sausages and cook, breaking up clumps, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup reserved porcini soaking water and boil uncovered 2 minutes. Scrape skillet mixture onto plate and reserve.
3. Add butter to skillet and melt over moderately high heat. Add onion and scallions and cook, stirring now and then, until soft and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
4. Return sausages to skillet, then add reserved porcini and another 1/4 cup soaking water. Turn heat to lowest poin, cover, and mellow 10 to 12 minutes.
5. Add sugar snap peas to skillet, then not drained pasta and toss well. If mixture seems dry, add a little more porcini soaking water.
6. Season to tastewith salt and pepper and serve.