¼ cup (60 mL) vegetable oil (Dempsey uses Kricklewood sunflower oil, from near Smiths Falls)
2 cups (500 mL) chopped onion
2 tsp (10 mL) minced garlic
1½ tbsp (22.5 mL) smoked paprika or 2 tbsp (30 mL) regular paprika
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
1 small can chopped green chilies or ½ cup (125 mL) chopped fresh green pepper
½ tsp (2.5 mL) dried thyme or 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh
6 cups (1.5 L) juicy garden tomatoes, chopped, or two 28 oz (800g) cans good-quality diced tomatoes
1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
Salt to taste
¼ cup (60 mL) chopped cilantro
2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped flat-leaf parsley
Raw corn from 2-3 cobs
1 handful of baby kale leaves or 1 cup (250 mL) shredded larger leaf kale (ribs removed)
Crumbled feta cheese, (Dempsey uses Milkhouse Farm & Dairy feta, from Smiths Falls
1. Heat oil in a large, heavy-high sided pan over medium heat.
2. Add onion and cook a few minutes to soften.
3. Add garlic and cook a few minutes more.
4. Add paprika and cumin, cooking until fragrant.
5. Add green chilies or green pepper, thyme and tomatoes.
6. Reduce heat if necessary and simmer 15 to 20 minutes — longer if tomatoes are really juicy.
7. Season with sugar and salt to taste. Stir in cilantro and parsley. Sprinkle with corn and kale.
8. Gently break the eggs on the surface, season with pepper, sprinkle with feta and cover.
9. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, until eggs are cooked to your liking.
10. Scoop 2 eggs with a good amount of the tomato mixture into a low-sided bowl and serve with crusty bread or rice and a crisp salad.